What’s covered by Comprehensive Travel Insurance?
Overseas medical and hospital expenses
Unlimited amount for overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses (excluding pregnancy and childbirth).
Cancellation and amendment fees
Unlimited amount for cancellation fees and lost deposits on pre-paid travel, accommodation, meals, etc. if your trip is cancelled due to an insured event.
Extra travel, accommodation and meals expenses if your trip is disrupted or you have to return home early due to an insured event, up to $40,000.
Upgrade your cover
For an additional premium, you can add one or more of the following optional extras to your policy:
Excess reduction or waiver
Halve your excess from the standard $200 to $100; or choose to have no excess.
How do I add these optional extras to my policy?
You can add one or more of these optional extras when you get a quote and buy a policy.
If you’ve already bought a policy, you can add Snow Sports and/or Additional Specified Items cover only. To do this, call us on 1800 444 424 or log into your online account and edit your policy — before you leave on your trip and within 14 days of the purchase date.
Overseas medical and emergency assistance
Budget Direct travel insurance gives you access to a worldwide, 24/7 network of 75,000+ medical and emergency assistance providers.
These include hospitals, medical centres, air ambulance providers, and air charter companies.
Get a quote
Whether you want cover for just the basics or a policy with lots of bells and whistles, we’ve got a wide selection of travel insurance for you to pick from.
Get a travel insurance quote online in 30 seconds or call us on 1800 444 424.
Frequently asked questions
What does travel insurance cover?
Travel insurance can cover the financial costs of a wide range of unforeseen accidents or incidents on your trip.
Among the most important benefits provided by Budget Direct travel insurance are:
- Overseas medical and hospital expenses – an unlimited amount for the cost of unforeseen emergency medical and hospital treatment overseas (excluding pregnancy and childbirth). Read more
- Cancellation and amendment fees – the cost of pre-paid travel, accommodation, etc. in case you’re forced to call off or reschedule your trip due to an insured event (e.g. an unforeseen illness or injury). (Does not apply to Last Minute cover.) Read more
- Luggage and personal effects – the cost of repairing, replacing or reimbursing you for your belongings if they are lost, stolen or damaged (sub-limits apply).
- Additional expenses – extra travel, accommodation and meals expenses – over and above what you budgeted for – if your trip is disrupted or cut short due to an insured event.
For full details, including the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply, please read the product disclosure statement.
Can I buy travel insurance after booking my flight?
Yes – you can buy a Budget Direct travel insurance policy after booking your flight – but it must be purchased before your trip commences.
By getting travel insurance as soon as you’ve booked and paid for some or all of your trip, you can be covered for things like your pre-paid travel and accommodation if you’re forced to cancel your trip due to an insured event (e.g. an unforeseen illness or injury).
(This is unless you have a Last Minute policy, which does not include cancellation cover.)
How much does travel insurance cost?
The cost of travel insurance depends on a number of factors, including your:
- travel destination/s
- trip duration
- type of cover, including any optional extras you add to your policy.
Find out more and see how much it would cost to insure your next trip.
Do the benefit amount limits apply to each family member (or travelling party member) or the family (or travelling party) as a whole?
The benefit amount limits are the most we’ll pay each insured person per trip.
For example, if a family of five has Comprehensive cover and all five of them have their luggage stolen, we’ll pay them up to $7,500 each (minus their excesses of $200 each.)
Travel Insurance Knowledge Base
Your questions about insurance all
answered in one place.